Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

GREAT NAUTICAL LIBRARY



If you are an "old salt" or an "arm chair sailor" you will love the used book section of our store. We've got them all. Jack London, Sterling Hayden, Hal Roth, Alan Villiers, Lynn and Larry, Steve Dashew, and hundreds more of the best sea going authors that every were. Every week hundreds of books come in from yachtsmen (and yachts women) that are "swallowing the anchor" and moving inland. Lots of magazines too. Wooden boat (complete collections) Rudder, Sea and Yachting. I just took home a 1913 Yachting magazine and read it cover to cover. In those days you could build a 60 foot schooner for $10,000.00! A great read I just finished is the "Saga Of The Babbon. Growing up in Newport Beach as I kid I got to know most of the characters in the book. Bob Dickson, Don Chilcott, Chappie the shipwright etc. Tells about the loss of the "M" boat Windward in Mexico. Mentions the Farwell schooner Sea Drift and the Scripps big ketch, Novia del Mar. It's main character is one of the "Bali Hai" boys, Hugh Kelly. A local boy that bought the schooner Babbon, sailed it for years, raced with Bob Johnson of Windward Passage fame and later purchased land on the island of Moorea near Tahiti and opened the famed "Bali Hai" hotel. Fun read if you are an old time Newport Beach local. Lots of hot sex too! Which totally surprised me being a boating magazine. I'd give it an "X" rating. Author is Stu Newcomb, the brother on Carolyn Newcomb, long time NHYC member and the gal that ran my store for 2 years while I proved to myself that the world really was ROUND.........

No comments:

Post a Comment